Sunday, August 22, 2010


I spend a few nights a week walking around our Brooklyn neighborhood trying to imagine what it looked like a hundred years ago. I am constantly pointing things out to L like some crazy, 'Look at that one! That was probably a country house to some super rich aristocrate".. Yeah, I have no idea. But when I think about the past - the way back past - I don't think that the people were in any way like us.. They wore petticoats and hamhock sleeves and used weird salves. But then you see a picture like this and you realize that, no, they gossiped and had pimples and took goofy pictures, too.

[Katharine Wright and friend Harriet Silliman, half length, smiling and facing each other]

Wilbur Wright, 1867-1912, photographer
(link to more images by Wilbur on LOC, here)

No comments:

Post a Comment